FAQs

Registration

1. Can I register for the Institute and sign up for classes? Yes! Go to the following link to complete registration: Online Application. See our Registration page for more details.
  2. What is the advantage of registering now? If you intend to stay on campus during the Institute, you should complete the Online Application ASAP. We will be making dorm/meal plan arrangements on a first-come first-served basis based on when your Online Application is submitted. Priority housing arrangements will be made to the first 250 students who apply!
  3. Do I have to be an LSA member to attend the Institute? No, but you should considering joining the Linguistic Society of America! It’s a great organization and can help keep you in the loop about recent advances in linguistics as well as job/internship opportunities.
  4. How much does registration cost? Registration will cost $2200 for undergraduate and graduate students and $2600 for non-student affiliates. This covers all Institute programming, including all courses, events, workshops, conferences, lectures, poster sessions, 3 minute thesis competition, and social hours. It does not include housing or food. If you claim student status, you will be subject to verification.
  5. Do I have to pay during registration? Yes, you will be required to pay the Institute fees before you can enroll in classes.
  6. Can I change my registration answers? Yes. When you complete the online registration, you will be sent a confirmation email with your responses. If you wish to change any of them, contact info.lsa.institute@ucdavis.edu.
  7. Do I have to register if I’m applying for an LSA fellowship? Yes! Please indicate “Yes” on the Online Application in the ‘Fellowship’ section to show that you’re applying for a fellowship.
  8. If I apply for a fellowship and don’t receive one, is there a waitlist? Yes, some student fellowship applicants will be put on a waitlist. We anticipate that we’ll be able to award additional fellowships over time.
  9. If I don’t receive a fellowship or are still on the waitlist in May, what happens? 
  10. Who is eligible to register and attend? Anyone who is interested! We do require attendees to be 18 years of age or older. This is because of liability issues, and there will be no exceptions.
  11. What if I’m an international student? We are excited for you to come! Please be aware that we will not be handling any visa requests. We recommend you apply for a tourist B-1 visa. If you need a letter of invitation for your application, notify us.

Funding

1. Are there any fellowship opportunities? Yes! There are several LSA fellowships offered for the Institute. Note that you need to be an LSA member to apply for the fellowships. Fellowship applications are now open until February 21, 2019. Please contact the LSA directly for more specific questions about the fellowship application process.
  2. I see there are poster sessions planned. Can I submit a poster? Yes! We encourage all participants to submit a poster to share their work. This is also how many participants can get reimbursed at their home institution (e.g., travel funds). We will have details posted on the Poster site soon!

Courses

1. How many classes should I take? For a full course load, we recommend no more than 4 classes.
  2. Will these courses be transferable to my home institution? You will get a certificate of completion. One option is to make arrangements with faculty at your home institution to get independent study credits under a faculty adviser there.
  3. Will there be classes scheduled on Thursday, July 4th (Independence Day)? No, there will not be classes held on July 4, 2019.
  4. What happens if I’m enrolled in a Mon-Thurs class? As the holiday lands on a Thursday, all courses scheduled for that Thursday will instead hold their classes at the regularly scheduled time on Wednesday (July 3rd) that week. (Note that there will not be any Wednesday workshops that week). 

Housing

1. Will there be housing available? Yes, but there will be a limited number of on-campus dorms available for students (partners and family can not be accommodated) to share a double dorm room. As soon as registration opens, be sure to pay your Institute fee and housing deposit! Arrangements will be made on a first-come-first served basis.
  2. If I get a dorm, will there be a meal plan available? Yes, you can pay for a plan for 1, 2, or 3 meals/day at the dining commons.
  3. If I stay in a dorm, do I have to get a meal plan? Yes, all students staying in the dorms must purchase a meal plan with at least 1 meal per day.
  4. How much will on-campus housing cost? We are finalizing these details and hope to have a definitive answer by January.
  5. Do you have any suggestions for housing that’s not on campus? Sure! There are many resources to help you find housing in Davis, such as AirBnB and Facebook subleasing/housing pages.

UCD Questions

1. Will I have access to the wi-fi at UC Davis? All registered participants will have free access to the on-campus wireless internet and a UCD email address account.
  2. Can I check out books from the UCD library? Institute participants will have limited library privileges (i.e., access to online library materials, a limited number of books that can be checked out).

Bringing Kids

1. I’m planning on bringing my children with me. Do you have resources for me? Great, we’re excited you are bringing your family with you! Davis is very family-friendly. We have started a page here to provide resources to parents that we will periodically update.

… Still have a question? Use our contact form to get your answer!

Guides

Student and faculty guides will be posted here! Check back for updates.