- Registration for the Institute is now closed.
- Anyone who is interested! For liability reasons, we require attendees to be 18 years of age or older. There will be no exceptions to this policy.
- If you intend to stay on campus during the Institute, you should complete the appliction ASAP. We will be making dorm/meal plan arrangements on a first-come, first-served basis based on when your application is submitted. Priority housing arrangements will be made to the first 250 students who apply!
- No, but you should considering joining the Linguistic Society of America! It’s a great organization that keeps you in the loop about recent advances in linguistics as well as job/internship opportunities.
- Registration fees are $2200 for undergraduate and graduate students and $2600 for non-student affiliates. This covers all Institute programming, including all courses, events, Wednesday workshops, lectures, poster sessions, 3 Minute Thesis competition, social hours, and satellite conferences/symposia held on the weekends. It does not include housing, excursions, or food. Please note that student status will be subject to verification.
- To be eligible for the student rate ($2200), you need to be a registered student within 5 months of the Institute (before or after).
- If you’re officially enrolled in that course, then yes!
- No, you don’t have to pay during the Registration step, but we will be in contact about payment starting April 12. You will need to pay these fees before you can enroll in classes.
- Yes. When you complete the online registration, you will be sent a confirmation email with your responses. If you wish to change any of them, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are excited for you to come! Please be aware that we will not be handling any visa requests. We recommend you apply for a tourist B-1 visa. If you need a letter of invitation for your application, notify us. Because the LSA Institute is not a credit-bearing institution, we will not provide sponsorship for student visas like the F or J. Please see this link for information about the B-1 visa. In your discussion with consular officers, be clear that you are not taking these classes through UC Davis or another university, but rather as part of a an extended conference that offers courses for educational and professional enrichment.
- Please see our cancellation policy here.
- Our payment system accepts Visa and MasterCard credit/debit cards. If you do not have one of these, we recommend getting a prepaid debit card. Please email us if this is an issue.
- Several LSA fellowships are available for the Institute, but the deadline to apply for these fellowships has passed (February 21, 2019). Please contact the LSA directly at email@example.com for more specific questions about the fellowship application process.
- Yes, some student fellowship applicants will be put on a waitlist. We anticipate that we’ll be able to award additional fellowships over time.
- If you have been placed on the fellowship waitlist, you will receive an email from us with more information about what to do. If you have any questions about the waitlist process, please contact us.
- Yes! We encourage all participants to submit a poster to share their work. This is also how many participants can get reimbursed at their home institution (e.g., travel funds). We will have details posted on the Poster site soon!
- For a full course load, we recommend taking 4 classes and no more.
- You will get a certificate of completion. One option is to make arrangements with faculty at your home institution to get independent study credits under a faculty adviser there.
- No, no classes will be held on July 4, 2019 because it is a national holiday.
- As the holiday lands on a Thursday, all courses scheduled for that Thursday will instead hold their classes at the regularly scheduled time on Wednesday (July 3) that week. (Note that there will not be any Wednesday workshops that week).
- Yes, but there will be a limited number of on-campus dorms available for students to share a double dorm room. Note that we are unable to accommodate partners and/or family.
- Be sure to indicate on the application that you would like to apply for on-campus housing (see our Registration page for more details). Note that we will be making dorm/meal plan arrangements on a first-come, first-served basis based on when your application is submitted. Priority housing arrangements will be made to the first 250 students who apply!
- Yes, a meal plan with 3 meals/day at the dining commons will be included in the overall cost of the dorms.
- Yes, but this is included in the overall price of your dorm! You’ll get 3 meals/day.
- Check-in is Saturday, June 22 at 4pm, and check-out is Saturday, July 20 at noon.
- Yes, participants will be able to purchase a meal plan through Student Housing.
- We are finalizing these details and hope to have a definitive answer by the end of March.
- Sure! There are many resources to help you find housing in Davis; some great options are VRBO, Airbnb, ULoop, Community Housing List, Claz, and Sabbatical Housing. There are also a number of Facebook pages dedicated to subleasing/housing in Davis.
Breakfast 6:45am-8:30am Lunch 11:30am-1:30pm Dinner 4:45pm-7:00pm
Please make arrangements with Segundo DC’s registered dietitian and accommodations specialist, Samira Varshikov, to discuss your dietary needs. Samira will help introduce the menu and navigate the dining room so you can find the meal that fits your needs. Samira can be contacted at (530)752-2285, or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Market Express meals” are available in the “Segundo Market” for guests who are unable to return to the dining room for a meal during the meal period. A maximum of $11.50 meal equivalency for each swipe will be provided for the purchase of any item at the Markets, if the items selected exceed $11.50 retail value, you will be asked to pay for the difference out of pocket. Note that when you’ve used your meal swipe at Market Express for a particular meal period, you will not be able to access Segundo dining commons until the next meal period.
Plan ahead! Market Express requires advanced notice if you plan to utilize the service regularly. This will help us ensure the necessary quantities and variety is available. If you already know the particular days in which you would like to check out meals from Market Express, send an email to:
General Manager, Mitch Hayter (email@example.com) and Segundo Market Supervisor, Carmen Pang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Potter and Campbell Halls in Tercero Area
- The dorms are located to the southwest of the quad, along Dairy Rd across from the dairy cattle; they can be reached by foot, bike, car, or bus.
- If you are locked out of your room or building, you may check out a temporary key card from the conference desk. Any individual who loses a key or otherwise fails to return one will be subject to a fine.
Or you can also Contact the Student Housing and Dining Services at (530) 752-2033.Main Office Hours Telephone:
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.In Person:
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- You can take the X Line from the Memorial Union to Tercero on the weekends. The bus is free if traveling between locations on campus.
- Head east on La Rue RoadTake a left on Mrak Hall DriveContinue on bike paths past Mrak Hall to Hutchison DrTake a right on Hutchison DriveOlson (south side) is on the left hand side at the end of Hutchison DriveAlternate route to Olson (north side):Head west on La Rue Rd (a right coming out of the Tercero parking lot)Take a right on Dairy Rd
Take a right on Hutchison Dr
Turn left on California Ave (at the roundabout near the Silo)
Turn right on Shields Ave (Olson will be on the right, past the library, after the next roundabout)
- Yes, but we are not liable for any missing or stolen baggage.
- Yes! We recommend that you fly into SMF and take a shuttle (e.g., Davis Airporter) or Lyft (~30 min.) or the Yolo County bus (Route 42 B; ~1 hour) to get to Davis.
- Check out our Getting to Davis page for more information about other ways to get to Davis.
- We strongly encourage people not to drive if it can be avoided. One option is to park outside of downtown and take a bus in (e.g., Adams & Anderson). There are also non-restricted spaces on Olive Drive, near In-N-Out. All the visitor lots are FREE after 5 PM, a great option for late night lectures/receptions. Daily parking passes cost $9. You can buy a bulk 10 day pass from TAPS, the details you can find here.
- Olson 101
- You can check in on Saturday, June 22 and Sunday, June 23 from 8 AM-6 PM, at the opening reception June 24, or at the info desk from 8 AM-6 PM the first week of classes.
- No, this check-in is to give you information on the Institute, not to check in the dorms.
- All registered participants will have free access to the on-campus wireless internet and a UCD email account.
- Institute participants will have limited library privileges (e.g., access to online library materials, a limited number of books that can be checked out). Please contact us directly if you need library access (email@example.com) and we can help arrange a library account for you.
- If you are a UC student from a different UC campus, you are eligible for reciprocal care at the UC Davis Student Health Center (from the Health Center’s website: “The Student Health Centers (SHC) at each University of California campus gladly offers reciprocal access to SHC services to currently registered students from all other UC campuses under the same conditions that apply to its own students who are not enrolled in its campus Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).”) Unfortunately, if you are not a registered UC student, you will not be eligible to use SHS services. However, there are several urgent cares and a hospital in Davis, and there are many more in neighboring communities like Sacramento. Please contact your insurance to see what will be covered.
- Yes, you can purchase a community pass for membership from Campus Recreation. Please contact them for details.
- Great, we’re excited you are bringing your family with you! Davis is very family-friendly. We have started a page here to provide resources for parents, and we will update this page periodically.
…Still have a question?
Use our contact form to get your answer!