FAQs

Registration

1. Can I register for the Institute and sign up for classes? Not yet! But we love your enthusiasm. We anticipate registration will open at the end of January 2019. In the meantime, check out the courses we’ll be offering.
  2. How will I know when I can register? When registration opens, we’ll post announcements on all of our social media platforms and send an email through the Linguist list and the LSA member email updates! Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page to stay in the loop!
  3. Do I have to be an LSA member to attend the Institute? No, but you should considering joining the Linguistic Society of America! It’s a great organization and can help keep you in the loop about recent advances in linguistics as well as job/internship opportunities.
  4. How much does registration cost? Registration will cost $2200 for undergraduate and graduate students and $2600 for non-student affiliates. This covers all Institute programming, including all courses, events, workshops, conferences, lectures, poster sessions, 3 minute thesis competition, and social hours. It does not include housing or food. If you claim student status, you will be subject to verification.
  5. Do I have to pay during registration? Yes, you will be required to pay during the registration process before you can enroll in classes or claim a spot in the on-campus housing. For fellowship applicants, this mean you will need to wait until after fellowship decisions are announced to enroll in classes.
  6. Who is eligible to register and attend? Anyone who is interested! We do require attendees to be over 18.

Funding

1. Are there any fellowship opportunities? Yes! There are several LSA fellowships offered for the Institute. Note that you need to be an LSA member to apply for the fellowships. We’ll be adding more information about how to apply for the 2019 Institute in the coming months. Please contact the LSA directly for more specific questions about the fellowship application process.
  2. I see there are poster sessions planned. Can I submit a poster? Yes! We encourage all participants to submit a poster to share their work. This is also how many participants can get reimbursed at their home institution (e.g., travel funds). We will have details posted on the Poster site soon!

Courses

1. How many classes should I take? For a full course load, we recommend no more than 4 classes.
  2. Will these courses be transferable to my home institution? You will get a certificate of completion. One option is to make arrangements with faculty at your home institution to get independent study credits under a faculty advisor there.

Housing

1. Will there be housing available? Yes, but there will be a limited number of on-campus dorms available for students (partners and family can not be accommodated) to share a double dorm room. As soon as registration opens, be sure to pay your Institute fee and housing deposit! Arrangements will be made on a first-come-first served basis.
  2. If I get a dorm, will there be a meal plan available? Yes, you can pay for a plan for 1, 2, or 3 meals/day at the dining commons.
  3. If I stay in a dorm, do I have to get a meal plan? Yes, all students staying in the dorms must purchase a meal plan with at least 1 meal per day.
  4. How much will on-campus housing cost? We are finalizing these details and hope to have a definitive answer by January.
  5. Do you have any suggestions for housing that’s not on campus? Sure! There are many resources to help you find housing in Davis, such as AirBnB and Facebook subleasing/housing pages.

UCD Questions

1. Will I have access to the wi-fi at UC Davis? All registered participants will have free access to the on-campus wireless internet and a UCD email address account.
  2. Can I check out books from the UCD library? Institute participants will have limited library privileges (i.e., access to online library materials, a limited number of books that can be checked out).

Bringing Kids

1. I’m planning on bringing my children with me. Do you have resources for me? Great, we’re excited you are bringing your family with you! Davis is very family-friendly. We have started a page here to provide resources to parents that we will periodically update.

… Still have a question? Use our contact form to get your answer!

Guides

Student and faculty guides will be posted here! Check back for updates.