We anticipate registration will open at the end of January 2019.

Institute fees are $2200 for undergraduate and graduate students and $2600 for non-student affiliates. This covers all Institute programming, including all courses, events, workshops, conferences, lectures, poster sessions, 3 minute thesis competition, and social hours. It does not include housing or food. If you claim student status, you will be subject to verification.

FAQs

Registration

1. Can I register for the Institute and sign up for classes? Not yet! But we love your enthusiasm. We anticipate registration will open at the end of January 2019. In the meantime, check out the courses we’ll be offering.
  2. How will I know when I can register? When registration opens, we’ll post announcements on all of our social media platforms and send an email through the Linguist list and the LSA member email updates! Follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page to stay in the loop!
  3. Do I have to be an LSA member to attend the Institute? No, but you should considering joining the Linguistic Society of America! It’s a great organization and can help keep you in the loop about recent advances in linguistics as well as job/internship opportunities.
  4. Do I have to pay during registration? Yes, you will be required to pay during the registration process before you can enroll in classes or claim a spot in the on-campus housing. For fellowship applicants, this mean you will need to wait until after fellowship decisions are announced to enroll in classes.
  5. Who is eligible to register and attend? Anyone who is interested! We do require attendees to be over 18.

Funding

1. Are there any fellowship opportunities? Yes! There are several LSA fellowships offered for the Institute. Note that you need to be an LSA member to apply for the fellowships. We’ll be adding more information about how to apply for the 2019 Institute in the coming months. Please contact the LSA directly for more specific questions about the fellowship application process.
  2. I see there are poster sessions planned. Can I submit a poster? Yes! We encourage all participants to submit a poster to share their work. This is also how many participants can get reimbursed at their home institution (e.g., travel funds). We will have details posted on the Poster site soon!

Courses

1. How many classes should I take? For a full course load, we recommend no more than 4 classes.
  2. Will these courses be transferable to my home institution? You will get a certificate of completion. One option is to make arrangements with faculty at your home institution to get independent study credits under a faculty advisor there.

Have other questions? Check out our FAQ page